In Johnson County, and across the state of Kansas, you increase your odds of beating a DUI or DWI by knowing and doing the following:
1. Refuse to admit to a crime. You should not tell an officer that you have have consumed alcohol. Doing so will only give him/her the option to request additional testing and this evidence will used against you later;
2. Refuse to do field sobriety tests. Having to recite the alphabet or numbers, usually forward and then backwards, is the standard test. This is difficult for the most sober of person. Failing this test will be later used against you. Refusing to test, means no testing evidence, will work in your favor in the long run;
3. Refuse to take a breathalizer. The officer will warn that refusing to take this test will result in suspension of your license. You can fight that and your case easier if you haven't submitted to this test;
4. Remain silent. You have the right not to incriminate yourself. If you are asked if you consumed alcohol, were operating a vehicle, have you been taking drugs, etc. make no admissions. Your silence does not amount to an admission of guilt; and
5. ASK TO SPEAK TO YOUR ATTORNEY. The best thing you can do is exercise your right to legal representation. Ask for your attorney and say nothing more.
If you are accused of driving under the influence,or while impaired, call us now @ 913.602.7288. Your freedom and license are in jeopardy. We are available during the holidays and weekends too. Credit card and payment plans excepted.
7500 College Blvd., Suite 500
PHONE & FAX